Monday, February 27, 2012

Conoco Phillips Rodeo Run 2012

This past Saturday I laced up for my first ever SOLO race.  Every run I have done up until this point, I ran with someone.  I didn't always finish with someone, but I at least always started with a friend.  Well, this weekend that wasn't the case.  My dear RBF decided to be a good wife and run the 5K with her husband instead of the 10K with me.  I'm not going to judge her, it was a wise decision, and probably one I might have considered myself.

The starting line was CRAZY!!  I'm not sure how many people were actually there but from where I was when the gun went off, it took me 4 minutes to actually cross the start.  Since I am usually dependent on Erin's Garmin it was hard to pace myself that first mile.  The adrenaline was going, the crowd was out for the parade, people were cheering, radio DJ's were shouting, and I was running.  At mile 1, Runkeeper told me I was running an average pace of 8:35.  A very good pace I must say, but not normal for me.  I knew if I kept that up there was no way I was going to be able to finish the whole 6.2 miles.  I reined it in a little and found someone to run with.  I noticed 2 men running slightly ahead of me chatting, one of which was definitely up there in age and the other appeared to be in his 30s.  The younger man slowed a bit and ended up next to me.  I quickly said, "Now that's inspiratation," pointing to the older gentleman.  He told me the man's name was Ed and he was almost 77 years old.  He hadn't starting running until he retired in his 50s.  I sped up a little and decided to run next to Ed for a moment.  I told him how awesome he was to be doing this and he replied with, "I don't want to end up in a wheelchair prematurely, or the grave either."  He then went on to tell me about a friend of his that he lost that week that was 55 and weighed 237 lbs, he passed away of a heart attack.  We ran about half a mile next to each other and then he said he had to slow a little to get ready for the bridges.  But those few minutes with Ed carried me for the next 5 miles.

He wasn't lying about the bridges either.  There were 2 overpasses that were not very kind.  The first one wasn't too bad, but the second time across it started around mile 4.5 so my legs were getting tired and the adrenaline was starting to wear off.  As I started the ascent Kelly Clarkson started telling me that what "doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...what doesn't kill you makes a fighter!"  I was singing right along with her and believing every word.  

My official time was 1:03:15, a personal record in a 10K race.  I was very pleased with my results, though I had hoped for a sub-1 hour time.  Considering my training hasn't been that great, I crossed at 1:07:42.  I'm the one in the black shirt and capris wearing shades.

In case you are wondering, Ed finished the run in 1:07, actually only 4 minutes slower than me.  Watch Ed cross the finish line at 1:11:16

I feel like I am finally getting my groove back.  I'm at 90.6 miles for the year, only 910 to go!!  And I've registered for my next half-marathon, March 25 Erin and I will be running the town of Sugar Land again.  Want to join us??  Sign up here

No comments:

Post a Comment