Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sciatica, stomach bugs, and laziness, oh my!!!

The past 2 weeks have been horrible.  Coming off of my second half-marathon I felt like I could conquer the world.  I felt like super woman!!!  Then, I took a week off.  I needed it, I told myself.  I deserved it.  All of that sounded GREAT!  Then my house my stricken with the stomach virus.  I couldn't walk far from the house let alone RUN.

By Tuesday I jumped back in with both feet, well, maybe not both feet.  It was more like, I was sitting on the steps.  I did a few short runs, once with the stroller, once with the partners.  Then decided to do a 6 miler.  FELT great!!  It was nice to get my legs moving again.  I was back to my old self.  The next day RBF and I did 3 miles and while I was running the left quad started giving me some trouble.  (This happens every so often and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I tote the 35 lb 2 year old on the left hip.)

That was a Sunday morning, by that afternoon I could hardly get off the couch.  By Monday afternoon at 5:30 when the hubs got home, I banished myself to bed and didn't get out until the next morning.  Of course I didn't go to the doctor, because I'm a mom and a woman and who needs the doctor when you have google and facebook.  :)  After much research using these two very scientific resources, I diagnosed myself with sciatica and asked my friend the marathon coach what I could do to fix it.  Apparently this torture device does WONDERS:
It's called The Grid Trigger Point foam roller and it is amazing.  I spent the next few days rolling on this thing anytime I could.  I finally started feeling some relief.  Oh, and a few doses of aleve a day really helped too.  I'm sure I could have pushed through and ran a mile or 2 this weekend to get myself going, but after not really running for the past 3 weeks, I am out of practice and therefore LAZY!!  

BUT, as Scarlett once told us, "Tomorrow is another day!"  And tomorrow I get back on the wagon.  I have a 10K this Saturday and I am ready to do it!!  It may not be my best time ever but I will do it!!

I will not allow myself to be discouraged about my goal.  The past few weeks are in the past and now I move forward.  

No comments:

Post a Comment