Monday, January 23, 2012

You inspire me

Wow!  Who would know that those 3 words could hold so much power?  I have always known that 3 words could be powerful, "I love you!" "I am sorry!" "Will you marry me?"  Okay, so that last one is 4 words, but I've never known "You inspire me" could mean so much.  Until someone told me those 3 words.  ME?  The former high school mascot, runner up to class clown, and overall goofball, inspiring?  I feel I have been pretty average most of my life, hoping to one day inspire my children to do great things, I've never thought I inspired others.  Sure, I had a tough pregnancy, okay 2 tough pregnancies, but both of those ended in c-sections, you don't really have to do much when you have a c-section.  I have a friend that recently had twins, the right way, after laboring for 30 hours.  Now THAT is inspiring!!

I digress, twice this past weekend I was told by friends that I inspired them with my running.  Wow!  Not because I can run a sub-2 hour half-marathon (one day) or finish a full marathon (maybe next year) but just because I run.  Prior to January 3, 2010 I didn't run, EVER.  I was that girl that said if I had to run for my life, I would die.  I said I didn't diet because I liked food too much.  My mother and grandmother told me I was "too pretty to be overweight" (sorry mom) but I just accepted that was the way life was going to be.  I embraced my size 14 jeans and went with it, because I didn't think I could do anything about it without sacrificing everything I loved, you know, ice cream, cupcakes, cheese, and fried chicken.

Here I am with the big one, December 2010.  Notice the conveniently placed child to hide myself.  This was a common trend in photos.  That girl didn't really inspire people to do anything, except maybe cook.  :)

But this girl:
apparently, people find this version inspiring.   (that's my RBF Erin on the left)

I still don't diet because I DO really love food, especially sweets, but I make better choices and I love running more.  And trust me, if you eat nothing but junk all week and then try to run 10 miles, you will be hurting, I learned that from experience.  

It makes me feel important when people ask me how I got started, or for advice on training programs.  I hope to continue to inspire more and more moms to get out there and run.  As I always tell my friends who are just getting started, "It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you go."  My other favorite is, "A 15 minute mile or a 5 minute mile, it's still a mile."  

Thank you to those of you who have told me I've inspired you.  Each of you inspire me to strive toward my goal, even when the Debbie doubters tell me 1000 miles is too high, and remind me that I'm 31 not 18.  I don't care.  I will run those 1000 miles!!!

Mileage count:  47.5

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! It looks like I started blogging about my training around the same time you did. I look forward to cheering you on from the mitten state :) High five!
    -Stephanie
    www.runninghighfive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete